Thursday, January 17, 2013

Another Cold Day

Well yesterday the temperature was down to minus 3 so the water for my garden birds needed constant thawing. We also saw many more birds coming into the garden to feed, to the point in fact where a second helping of food was needed in the afternoon.

For most of the day I was not in a position where I could see into the garden but Woodpigeons, Collared Doves, House Sparrows, Starlings and Blackbirds always seemed to be around.

I did notice a lot of Blackbirds coming to feed. How many individual birds there might have been I have no idea, but I did see three together at one point, all males.They seem to be more tolerant of each other at this time of year.

Now as I write this on Thursday morning, the temperature is more or less the same, we had another overnight frost and everywhere is frozen. The water in the bird bath has been thawed and plenty of food has been put out so the birds should have a good start to the day and replenish the fat they will have burnt off during the night..

A flock of around a dozen Starlings have just descended around the bird table. They do seem to be very jittery, very nervous, as I stood by the window they immediately lifted into the air and flew away. It has however given a pair of Collared Doves an opportunity to come down and have a feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment