Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Blackbird On An Autumn Monday

A jotting from Monday.
A Monday morning in Autumn and I am using my Aspire netbook on the glass topped dining table while looking out onto the garden through the patio doors. It looks very damp out there and maybe a little on the cold side, just the sort of conditions that will aggravate my arthritis. I am happy to be inside, feeling nice and warm.

A lone Blackbird has hopped up onto the patio decking in that typical Blackbird run and hop sort of way. He peered in (yes I am sure he was having a deliberate peep) through one of the gaps of the slightly angled vertical blinds. It is at this point that I become fully aware of his presence, but as I stare back in an attempt to have a decent look at this bird, our eyes meet and in an instant he is gone.

What I could not get a good look at because he flitted away so quickly, was the colouration of his plumage. He, and I was of the opinion that this bird was a he, was not completely black as a normal British Blackbird male would be. It seemed to be wearing a somewhat large proportion of brown feathers, but now that he has gone I can not bring to mind exactly what he did look like. I find that the memory of such a brief encounter fades so fast.

I think it is possible that it could be a young male in the process of the moult and so changing his attire from the brown and speckled feathers of the young bird to the deep black plumage of the adult. But, and this is where I am not certain until I can get a better look when it surely will return, it could be one of the Brown Headed blackbirds that we had visit us here last winter. They are a different species of European Blackbird that come (and this is off the top of my head and could be quite wrong) from Northern Europe.

I will look to see if I managed to get any pictures of those unusual Blackbirds from last winter or if I made any notes about them. Meanwhile I will eagerly await their return.

Note: Wednesday 24 October. Since Monday I have not been at home much in the daytime and even then have had but a very cursory glance into the garden. Tomorrow I should be spending the day at home and will look out once more through the patio doors, in the hope of seeing more of my garden birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment