Monday, August 8, 2011

Young House Sparrow Update

House Sparrows
Do you remember the young House Sparrow I showed you that had the white wings and tail?- Unusual Young House Sparrow - Well although there have been many of the youngsters coming into the garden, I have to say that I have not seen that cute little fellow again.

New fledgling House Sparrows continue to appear on a regular basis, being brought along to our free "eat in or takeaway" bird diner. When the weather has been fine and the sun shining, they love to have dust baths in the scattering of sand that I have left on the stone patio at the end of the garden. They also take full advantage of bathing in the fresh clean water to be found each day in the regular bird bath.

I enjoy watching how sociable the House Sparrows seem to be. Adult males and females of the species will happily feed and play side by side although of course the occasional squabbles do occur. In contrast Blackbirds of either sex will not tolerate any other of their kind anywhere near the garden when they are here.

2 comments:

  1. hello woodpecker,
    i've just come accross your blog whilst browsing the internet for information on the birds in my garden. The pictures of your garden look very similar to mine, with most of the same species enjoying being fed, although I live in Donegal, some distance from you!
    Your blog is a very enjoyable read, your birds are very lucky to have you looking out for them.
    I will drop by again to see what your feathered friends are up to in the autumn!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Rachel for your comments, I am so pleased you enjoyed visiting my blog. Things are quiet in the garden at the moment and to be honest I have been very neglectful of my blogging activities lately.
    As Autumn arrives the birds will be showing more and more in the garden and I will hopefully have a lot more content for the blog.
    I would love you to come back and take a look later.

    ReplyDelete