Sunday, October 17, 2010

Coal Tits

The Coal tits showed again this morning as I was looking through the kitchen window. The feeder pole had swung around and so as the first little fellow landed on the seed feeder I had a perfect view of it. I am getting quite fond of seeing these Coal Tits.

Of course I did not have a camera to hand as he or she put on a perfect display for me. "Should I fetch my camera?" I said to myself over and over as I watched, certain that if I did so, by the time I returned to the window it would be gone. And taking pictures through the window would not give the best results anyway. So I stayed and enjoyed the moment for myself.

This little bird I am sure knew that I was there watching as it put on a perfect performance for me. Today instead of flying off to the Holly bush or nearby tree to eat the seed it had extracted from the feeder, it would hop to the top of the pole or onto the front edge of the garage roof, eat, then return to the feeder, repeating the cycle time and time again. 

It demonstrated perfectly how it used one of its dainty little feet to hold down the food while it then worked away attacking the tasty morsel with the beak. From this distance and without binoculars or indeed my glasses I could not identify what food it was actually eating, whether it was seed of some sort or perhaps a nut. It could have been pecking off smaller pieces to eat or be pecking away the outer shell to get to the tender parts inside, I cannot say.

  As I continued to watch, still wondering if I should go upstairs to get my camera, a second Coal Tit came on the scene and deposited itself onto the cage feeder holding the fat block. This one stayed in situ chomping away merrily on the block that contains all sorts of goodies such as nuts, seeds, fruits and mealworms.

Suddenly some noise or nearby movement nearby spooked my little feathered friends and in an instant they were gone.

They will of course return, these delightful little Coal Tits

2 comments:

  1. I do like coal tits, I always think of them as being cheeky along with Jackdaws for some unexplained reason! any way good for you not rushing to get camera it is often best to enjoy the moment and just watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coal tits are my garden birds. The bird showed again and again in the morning through the kitchen window. I am getting quite fond of seeing these coal tits.

    ReplyDelete